79 now believed to have died in London high-rise fire

He said it had been “incredibly emotional working in there … On Saturday, I went in myself and went to the top floor.”

Cundy said that authorities were continuing to investigate whether any crimes had been committed in the fire. building regulations. Two British officials said Sunday that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of the high-rise may have been banned under U.K.

Print this story

He told reporters the “awful reality” was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims.
The new number may change as the investigation continues, Cundy said. He said that the search and recovery operation in the 24-story Grenfell Tower continues, he said, adding that it has been incredibly distressing for families.
Report an error

London police said Monday that 79 people were now believed to have died in the high-rise apartment building fire.
Handout picture released by the Metropolitan Police showing the inside of the Grenfell Tower in west London on June 16, 2017 after a fire engulfed the 24-storey building on Wednesday .

It’s an increase from the previous number of 58. Police Commander Stuart Cundy gave the new figure during a statement outside Scotland Yard, saying it includes both people who were confirmed dead and others who are missing and presumed dead.

“It’s hard to describe the devastation the fire has caused,” Cundy said, fighting back tears as he spoke.

Change text size for the story

Tweet