Troopers describe chaos after sniper targeted barracks

Prosecutors played a radio transmission in which Douglass can be heard breathing heavily and cursing, requesting a drink and asking when an ambulance would arrive.

(Butch Comegys/The Times & Tribune via AP, File) 5, 2015, file photo, Eric Frein is led away by Pennsylvania State Police troopers at the Pike County Courthouse after his preliminary hearing in Milford, Pa. In this Jan.

Other troopers tended to Douglass, who was tending to his fallen comrade in the parking lot when the gunman shot him in the pelvis. Douglass managed to crawl inside the lobby, yelling for help.

He was eventually flown to a hospital and survived.

Golden had stayed with him the whole time. By that time, the sun had come up.

Troopers told the jury they knew he was dead even as they tried to revive him. By the time they got him inside, Dickson had turned white, and his mouth and eyes were open.

Knowing the gunman might still be in the woods — waiting to target anyone who tried to come to Dickson’s assistance — the troopers parked an SUV in front of Dickson and used the vehicle as cover to allow them to drag the mortally wounded trooper into the barracks.


Trooper Robert Golden testified he slapped Dickson — a fellow Marine veteran — and called his name to get a response.

Golden shut the blinds and turned off the lights. Other troopers fired into the woods as emergency medical technicians loaded Douglass into an ambulance, according to testimony. One trooper covered the back stairwell with instructions to shoot anyone who wasn’t authorized to be there.
Report an error

Change text size for the story

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

“I thought someone was trying to take over our barracks,” Golden said.

Dickson’s body,” he said. “I was properly relieved of safeguarding Cpl.

Bryon Dickson II and wounded Trooper Alex Douglass just before 11 p.m. 12, 2014, ambush that killed Cpl. on what had otherwise been a routine night at the Blooming Grove barracks in northeastern Pennsylvania. Five troopers gave a dramatic inside look at the Sept.

Frein called Dickson’s slaying an “assassination” in an interview after his arrest and said he wanted to “make a change” in government, according to court documents. Prosecutors have said Frein targeted the barracks at random in an attempt to spark a revolution.
Troopers and civilian staff eventually left in an armoured vehicle. A few hours later, forensics investigators arrived to process the crime scene. The station commander, several corporals and Golden stood over Dickson’s body, and the commander said a prayer. They put the body into a bag and took it to a command post, then to the coroner’s office and eventually to a funeral home.

It’s just a proper way to take care of our dead,” he said. “Dickson was a Marine.

But the troopers at the barracks didn’t know that at the time. Authorities said Frein fled after firing the shots.

MILFORD, Pa. — State police troopers on Wednesday described for a jury how they responded in the chaotic minutes and hours after a sniper targeted their barracks, shooting two troopers from a wooded area across the street during a late-night shift change.

Print this story

marshals caught him at an abandoned airplane hangar. Frein eluded capture for nearly seven weeks before U.S. The testimony came on the second day of trial for 33-year-old Eric Frein, who’s pleaded not guilty in the attack.
He wanted Dickson’s body covered with an American flag but had to make due with a yellow emergency blanket.
Just looking into his eyes, there was nothing,” Golden said. “I was looking for any signs of life.
They grabbed shotguns and rifles and quickly improvised a rescue plan for Dickson, who was lying on the sidewalk in front of the barracks. Troopers sprang into action as word spread that Dickson and Douglass had been shot.