5 women reportedly got US$13M to not sue Bill O’Reilly for sexual harassment

Megyn Kelly accuses Roger Ailes of harassment in memoir: report

But the company said in a statement that it had looked into “these matters” in the past few months and discussed them with O’Reilly. 21st Century Fox, which is still dealing with the legal fallout from sexual harassment charges against former Fox News head Roger Ailes, did not reply to questions about the O’Reilly payouts or whether any disciplinary action was taken against O’Reilly.

The company said it “takes matters of workplace behaviour very seriously” and that “Mr. O’Reilly is fully committed to supporting our efforts to improve the environment for all our employees at Fox News.”

The company said O’Reilly denied the merits of “these claims” but has “resolved those he regarded as his personal responsibility.”

O’Reilly posted the statement to his website after the Times report Saturday, and Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox backed him in a statement.

 

Fox also reportedly fired an executive, Francisco Cortes, after a sexual assault complaint and paid his accuser more than $2.5 million in a settlement. Ailes left last summer amid sexual harassment charges, which he has denied.

(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File) In this Oct. 1, 2015 file photo, Bill O’Reilly of the Fox News Channel program “The O’Reilly Factor,” poses for photos in New York.

Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson settles sexual harassment lawsuit against Roger Ailes for $20 million
Related Stories

Change text size for the story

He apologized Tuesday. O’Reilly had been criticized earlier this week because of a comment he made about California Rep. Maxine Waters’ hair.

Report an error

The story said more than 60 people were interviewed, including current and former employees of Fox News or its parent company and people who know the women behind the complaints or are close to O’Reilly. Most demanded anonymity.
O’Reilly’s statement did not deny the payments. Requests for comments sent to a lawyer and a spokesman for O’Reilly were not immediately answered. “Just like other prominent and controversial people, I’m vulnerable to lawsuits from individuals who want me to pay them to avoid negative publicity,” it said.

Former anchor Gretchen Carlson alleges sex harassment at Fox in lawsuit
Bill O’Reilly questions Megyn Kelly’s loyalty

Roger Ailes out as head of Fox News amid sexual harassment allegations
Tweet

The newspaper reported that O’Reilly or 21st Century Fox have paid US$13 million to five women since 2002 over these complaints “in exchange for agreeing to not pursue litigation or speak about their accusations against him.”

NEW YORK — Fox News host Bill O’Reilly said Saturday that he is “vulnerable to lawsuits” because of his high-profile job, in response to a New York Times report detailing payouts made to settle accusations of sexual harassment and other inappropriate behaviour.

Fox News a ‘sex-fuelled, Playboy Mansion-like cult,’ ex-host Andrea Tantaros says in suit against Roger Ailes, others

Fox News chief denies sexually harassing Megyn Kelly

Print this story