‘Keeper who had girlfriend whacked, fed to dogs, signs pro deal after early release

Report an error

Tweet

A sicko soccer goalkeeper who had his model girlfriend killed and her flesh fed to his dogs has signed a pro contract to resume his career.

“(Boa Esporte) was not responsible for the release and freedom of the athlete, Bruno, but the club and the team, as a company, represented by human beings, endowed with justice and legality, can say that they tried to do justice by helping a human being,” the statement read.

Picture taken August 18, 2009 of Brazilian model Eliza Samudio, 25, ex-girlfriend of footballer Bruno Fernandes de Souza, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Marcelo Theobald/Getty Images)

The killer ‘keeper, who goes by the name Bruno in Brazil, was released in February despite being sentenced in 2013 to 22 years for ordering the murder of his girlfriend, Eliza Samudio. Court heard during his trial that he watched as parts of Samudio’s body were fed to his Rottweilers but her corpse was never found.

She had filed paperwork with a court to sue Bruno when she disappeared June 4, 2010. Bruno, 32, had Samudio killed, his trial was told, after a dispute over child-support payments for the boy they had together.

Change text size for the story

Boa Esporte president Rone Moraes da Costa defended the signing.

At the time of Samudio’s death — she was strangled — Bruno was the captain for Rio de Janeiro club Flamengo, one of the top teams in Brazil. He was also thought to be in line for Brazil’s World Cup team in 2014.
Print this story
Bruno Fernandes de Souza, who recently was let out of prison on a technicality after spending less than seven years in the big house after being arrested in 2010, signed a two-year contract with Brazilian second-division club Boa Esporte last week.

Some fans say they will stop supporting the team. Bruno’s signing with Boa Esporte has reportedly caused an uproar and one of the team’s sponsors, Nutrends Nutrition, has said it will pull out of its deal with the club.